Monday, June 22, 2009

Cucumber and Onion Sandwiches

As a child, practically the only way you could get me to eat a cucumber was on a cucumber and onion sandwich. I'm still not the biggest fan of the cuke, but I love-crave-need for this sandwich! What makes It a cucumber and onion sandwich is the cucumbers and the onions. Beyond that, anything goes. Use any kind of cucumber. Try red, white, yellow or Vidalia onions. Substitute cream cheese for the mayo. Try sharp cheddar, mozzarella, asiago or provolone. A dill havarti would be wonderful…mmm! Or, I guess some people don't like cheese? Whatever you do, don't skip the pepper!

I like to write my recipes in the order that I do things. However, for the ease of shopping, I'll start with an ingredient list…

2 pieces of whole grain sandwich bread

1 cucumber (I prefer English)

1 onion

Mayonnaise

Pepper

Cheese – 1 oz

Cut the cucumber and onion as thinly as possible. I use a mandolin.

Spread mayonnaise on each slice of bread. Add a few grinds of pepper to taste.

Pile with as many onions and cucumbers as can fit on one slice of bread. Top with cheese, then the second piece of bread. Dig in!

If you pack your lunch, don't assemble this sandwich ahead of time. Instead, to pack for lunch:

Mix a tablespoon of mayo with a few sprinkles of pepper and pack in a small condiment-sized container as you would for salad dressing. Pack the cucumber and onion in a small 1-cup container with a square (2-inch) folded piece of paper towel above and below. Tuck the cheese on top. This should keep everything dry. Pack the bread in a baggie. This should allow about 2 days of storage before it all gets mushy. Assemble when you're ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment